Thursday, December 6, 2012

Advent Vignette

Altered Advent Calendar

My children have begged for a Lego Star Wars Advent calendar for years.  These things cost about $40 and I would have to buy one for each boy.  On a recent trip to Target, I found this cute tree shaped advent calendar.  It is about 24" tall and has 1.5" boxes for each day.  It was painted an unseasonal, buttery yellow.  Well, I can change that.  I painted the whole thing with Making Memories kelly green paint and a foam brush. 








I used Mod Podge to cover most of the surface with Theresa Collin's Christmas Cottage papers, washi tape, and chipboard number stickers. I just love the way that it turned out.


And my boys are not too disappointed in a lack of Legos, since I have filled it with chocolates.  Who argues with chocolates once a day? 





Note that I built a little vignette for the advent tree.  I have a few paper reindeer I made a few years ago and a Santa I made at the same time.  These have been on display four years and the reindeer antlers are looking a bit rough.  It is a good thing I can make another...
 
I have to apologize for my not great photos.  I usually pride myself on good ones, but the poinsettia lights and cloudy days have made it challenging for me. I should stick to water droplet photos...

1 comment: